The game of Gustball is a great community event not dissimilar from soccer or football where Avatars of ALL levels & skill can compete in a fun, friendly game that uses the Gust skill (1st level Air Magic spell) to blow a Gustball into your opponents goal. The game of Gustball was invented by Bambino LudoVate, check out the SotaWiki for more info & history!
Two teams are pitted against each other and the object of the game is to Gust a Gustball around the field and into your opponent’s goal; the team that scores the most goals within two halves wins the match. In the event of a tie, the game is put into overtime and the very next goal decides the winner. Each half will last 10 minutes. Teams should have some type of uniform, or at the very least have common color cloaks.
Recommended Gustball Deck
- No player should have a weapon in hand. (Including Staffs/Wands)
- The ONLY spells that may be used on the ball are Gust & Chaotic Backdraft.
- The ONLY spells that may be used on opposing players is Gust, Chaotic Backdraft, Tabula Rasa.
- The ONLY spell that may be used on teammates is Healing Touch.
- The ONLY spells that may be used on yourself is Healing Touch, Soul Tap, Blink, Sprint, Dash, Mind Lock & Mind Wipe.
- No consumables (ie haste potions) allowed.
- You may use a food buff before the match
- You may not attack (damage) any players! The occasional auto-attack is acceptable, it happens.
- All players must begin on their mat.
- A player that steps out of arena boundaries will turn the ball over to the opposing team.
- If the ball leaves the field boundaries, this will result in a gust-in or gust-off.
- The team that performs a gust-in/gust-off shall be determined by which side of the field it was knocked out on. (Not by which team knocked it out)
- There will will be (1) time-out allowed per team per half.
- Teams may have more than 3 members.
- Substitutions may be made by teams. A substitution may be made on the fly, at any given time. Only one teammate may be substituted at a time. The player coming off the field must be out of the arena before the substitute player comes onto the field.
- Breaking small rules may result in a yellow card.
- Standing off the mat after countdown.
- Gusting before the countdown.
- Damaging another player with anything besides auto-attack.
- Using any type of Consumable.
- Getting outside the arena to gust.
- Stalling of the game.
- Too many players on the field.
- Stepping out of bounds.
- Jumping on a fence to gust.
- Jumping outside a fence to gust.
- Killing yourself. (2x Yellow Cards)
- Breaking a major rule, will result in a red card. One of these may result in you being kicked out of the game!
- Killing someone
- Use of bugs or exploits.
- (3) yellow cards result in a red card!
- If you are being disruptive or if you cause outside interference you will be banned from the arena completely!
- Please refrain from spamming or disrupting the flow of the event.
- Absolutely no bugs or exploits will be tolerated!
- The Referees will have final say on any type of rulings
A traditional gustball field will require two awnings or goals centered one on each end. A fence is NOT recommended as there are rules on stepping in and out of bounds and knocking the ball in and out of bounds. The field size itself is the size of 2×4 giant pavers or the equivalent combo of large & small pavers. The outside boundaries are clearly marked as well as the “half court”. The fields have 3 spots in a triangle formation to designate the starting positions for up to 3 players per team.
The area around the goal posts should be outlined as well to mark the area the ball lands in and clearly define where the “goal” is.
More on Gustball Field Specifications here.